What is a DIY Pop Up Retreat?
In the spirit of our Gaia Retreat and Spa holiday we recently implemented a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Pop Up Retreat at Home, otherwise known as the Stay (stay at home for the day) Spa experience.
As there are many themes one can choose for a retreat – such as de-stress, detoxify, get fit, contemplation – we opted for a relaxation retreat with a wellness focus that would neatly fit into a single day and where quality caffeine, alcohol and movies was entirely OK because we were setting the program after all.
For a smooth retreat day, some planning and preparation is recommended. We planned our menu for the day and prepared as much as possible the day before. We did any necessary house chores the day before. We created some beautiful spots around the home. We developed a program/structure for the day to support relaxation and wellness.
Our Retreat Program
- 08:00am – morning yoga
- 09:00am – breakfast (fresh juice, fruit salad, porridge, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms on toast)
- 10:00am – tandem ride
- 11:00am – body-brush, shower
- 11:30am – morning tea (cinnamon swirl vegan muffins & coffee)
- 12:00pm – free time (which may include watching some EPL football)
- 13:00pm – lunch (sweet potato salad & ginger iced tea)
- 14:00pm – free time
- 15:30pm – reflection (Finding Your Element by Ken Robinson, exercise #2)
- 16:30pm – massages
- 17:30pm – facial / bath
- 18:30pm – dinner (mexican beans and jacket potatoes and red wine)
- 19:30pm – foot soaks
- 20:00pm – movie
We embraced our DIY Pop Up Retreat @ Home. The concept of staying at home, enjoying your home and creating a day to focus on relaxation and wellness was very soothing to the soul! We hope you also find the time to fit in some of your preferred retreat options throughout the year.